Course Description


This interdisciplinary fine arts course results in the development of a body of work around contemporary art topics. Research, concept development and studio practice will combine to broaden your skills and ideas. Stimulating assignments together with experimentation promote analysis and understanding of contemporary art ideas, world cultures and historical periods, and other areas of visual information. Studio production and the communication of concepts visually, verbally and in written form will be combined in this thought-provoking course

Monday, December 5, 2011

personal project update.



Above is the personal project I have been working on. This piece started out with the thought of combining the black material with the paper I have been working with. But throughout the process of dealing with the black on black on black I have found that I really like where the dimensions stand when playing with one solid color and different textures. I have already incorporated wire that is stuck down into the "mohawk" of the head piece. The wire will spike up and then will curve forward and over the face of the piece. There will be feathers gathered at the end of the wire in front of the face. In the end it looks like a food treat in front of an animal so it will keep moving forward. And as I have been creating this piece I believe that that's exactly what this piece is about. I have come to think of this piece as being about grief. The black reminds me of some of the traditional garb that has been worn at funerals. When I places the wire with feathers in front of the face it made me think about how when one is in a moment of grief you that you have to place something in front of you in order to move though and out of it.
I am not using this piece to speak about where I am in my life right now, however I have been through times of grief and am pulling from that experience. I think after this monday class this piece will be complete.

1 comment:

  1. I wish that I took a closer look at this in class, because I doubt this image is giving it its true justice. I am glad that you are experimenting with more colors though, it gives another layer to the meaning.

    ReplyDelete