Course Description


This interdisciplinary fine arts course results in the development of a body of work around contemporary art topics. Research, concept development and studio practice will combine to broaden your skills and ideas. Stimulating assignments together with experimentation promote analysis and understanding of contemporary art ideas, world cultures and historical periods, and other areas of visual information. Studio production and the communication of concepts visually, verbally and in written form will be combined in this thought-provoking course

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Deer Hunting Trophy/Decorative Wall Piece

This is a finished piece in the new series I am working on. I have been constructing my own version of big game trophies. They are mostly two-dimensional works with some three-dimensional qualities to them. I want them to appear mostly as two-dimensional forms of art because the animals themselves are three-dimensional and I want to represent them not necessarily recreate or make a reproduction of them. However, I want the scale of these works to be fairly close to the actual size of the animals I am portraying. I think that it is important to show the size of the animals because in hunting for example the larger the deer the better the souvenir.
These artworks are silhouettes of commonly hunted animals wrapped in fabrics with decorative patterning on the fabric. The fabrics are important to the piece. I feel that hunting and the big game trophies are mostly a male idea and interest. I know this is not always the case, but overall this is the common stereotype that we associate men with the act of hunting. The fabrics can be considered the female part to these works. It is my way of combining the two ideas of the manly hunting trophy and the home decoration aspect of them. I enjoy the clash of these two actions, and together they contrast and compliment each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment