Course Description


This interdisciplinary fine arts course results in the development of a body of work around contemporary art topics. Research, concept development and studio practice will combine to broaden your skills and ideas. Stimulating assignments together with experimentation promote analysis and understanding of contemporary art ideas, world cultures and historical periods, and other areas of visual information. Studio production and the communication of concepts visually, verbally and in written form will be combined in this thought-provoking course

Sunday, November 20, 2011

mapping



This is a piece that I finished recently. I found this beautiful book of maps and bought it with the full intention of saving it forever and using it as just something to look at and enjoy. I was convinced otherwise, and instead of photocopying the pages and using them in this piece, I used the actual pages. I think the great thing about this is that the rich colors and textures that I loved so much about the book stayed intact in this piece. I wanted the piece to still look like a map but be different enough that it would call for a closer investigation of the piece.
For my personal project I want to keep working on this same idea of mapping. I'm very interested in maps, I think because of the patterns that happen in them. I liked the technique that I used for this piece and I want to continue on with it. It's basically collage and stacking of layers in a grid-like manner. I want to try combining different kinds of maps in the same piece. I definitely need to think more about the concepts behind these pieces. I want them to be about more than just patterns and maps. I need to think more about organization and how to push the familiar into something unfamiliar.

1 comment:

  1. I like this project very much. I agree that a stronger pattern or organization should come through. The problem for you is that the maps are already beautiful and full of significance. So maybe pure visual patterning in an abstract way will help you get around that. Look up Andalusian tile work, for instance.

    ReplyDelete