Course Description


This interdisciplinary fine arts course results in the development of a body of work around contemporary art topics. Research, concept development and studio practice will combine to broaden your skills and ideas. Stimulating assignments together with experimentation promote analysis and understanding of contemporary art ideas, world cultures and historical periods, and other areas of visual information. Studio production and the communication of concepts visually, verbally and in written form will be combined in this thought-provoking course

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Personal Icons






















These two Images are from a woman who has made a neck piece from a memento of a loved one. When I was researching icons i found myself being drawn back to thing that people use to remember personal experiences. I was drawn to this work because of the colors. I will be working on my icon based on a personal experience and memory so I thought I would post something that was like what I wanted to do.
The green ribbon has no real meaning in this piece it just holds the shell up. But the Shell was a souvenir that the woman had from a vacation she took with her husband. The couple had been married for 30 some years. On the way home from their trip they were in a car accident and he was killed. Out of the wreckage one of the things that was unbroken was this shell. She had it laid into silver pieces and placed on a ribbon in memory of her husband. She talked about how this shell was an "icon" to her for their relationship. It was delicate and in need of care, but very loved.
Now let me say that after i found this someone told me that they had seen this neck piece somewhere else and that this story wasn't true. But either way I think that this can work with the Icon theme that we are talking about. This Shell is now ( possibly) an Icon for this woman's relationship. And for me that fact that it's a personal icon is very interesting. I think it's fascinating to see art from one person's perspective and story.

1 comment:

  1. Even though we are unsure if this story is true or not, the whole idea is very inspiring to me, as I too find work that is personal very interesting. I tend to collect and save things from my experiences or from significant people, but I don't really do anything with them. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete