Course Description


This interdisciplinary fine arts course results in the development of a body of work around contemporary art topics. Research, concept development and studio practice will combine to broaden your skills and ideas. Stimulating assignments together with experimentation promote analysis and understanding of contemporary art ideas, world cultures and historical periods, and other areas of visual information. Studio production and the communication of concepts visually, verbally and in written form will be combined in this thought-provoking course

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

icons



To me an icon is something that represents something significant and important. When I began thinking about art and icons, Janis Mars Wunderlich came to my mind. She is a local ceramic sculpture artist and I believe all of her work are icons representing different moments and thoughts in her life as a mother. This particular piece is about the time in her life when she was thinking/dreaming about what her future children may be like-their personalities, what they would look like, how many she may have, etc. Her work is fascinating to me. I love how it is very personal to her, but really represents how most mothers feel. I find my work slowly starting to become about memory and place, and I feel like I use pieces of specific places or landscapes in my art in a somewhat iconic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment