Course Description


This interdisciplinary fine arts course results in the development of a body of work around contemporary art topics. Research, concept development and studio practice will combine to broaden your skills and ideas. Stimulating assignments together with experimentation promote analysis and understanding of contemporary art ideas, world cultures and historical periods, and other areas of visual information. Studio production and the communication of concepts visually, verbally and in written form will be combined in this thought-provoking course

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Final Personal Project


During this class I have developed a project that will slowly develop into my senior thesis exhibition. My idea involves taking my father, who is a "collector"/hoarder and using the objects he collects to create a show. At my family home we have a three car garage, green house, and basement which are completely filled with objects my father collects. I have been unable to narrow it down beyond this generalization and know I will be creating a small scale version of this for the final project in this class. The image above is shelving in my house that house a few of the objects my father has collected and given to me over the years. There is a stipulation that everything loaned to me must be returned when I move/die/etc.
The theme of natural versus man made has really interested me because I can implement a variety of mediums and concepts that will fall into that category. The idea of collecting and cataloguing is the medium to which I am attracted to the most right now. In my near future I do not see myself working directly with making art. I don't like the idea of stating the "community" as having a reaction to my artwork unless you're talking about the community of artists that surround us. The percentage of the community that is in Columbus Ohio and will view my project is a very small percentage. I do not have a concise idea on what I want my viewers to walk away with. It is a very personal project right now and I have not taken it past the steps of visualization. Welp, that's all I got for now.


2 comments:

  1. I think a good way to approach this is as an anthropologist. The art part will be the effort to take on the objective persona to deal with these personal objects in a "scientific way", grouping by color or size rather than function maybe. And then labeling in an interesting way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I am sure you already have looked into this but gather inspiration from Curiosity Cabinets. I love collections. :)

    ReplyDelete